Ford Super Duty ‘Death Wobble’ Plaintiffs Given Deadline For Class Action

Ford Super Duty owners have complained about a problem commonly known as “death wobble” for years now, or what is typically a violent shaking or wobbling that occurs while driving, generally at speeds above 50 miles-per-hour. The problem reportedly stems from defective suspension components, and spurred a lawsuit that was partially dismissed roughly one year ago because more than one plaintiff who had their truck repaired has not experienced this issue since the repairs were completed. Various other claims were also dismissed because they were filed by owners whose trucks were no longer under warranty when they were brought to the dealer for repairs. Now, a judge has given plaintiffs in the case a deadline to officially request class action, according to Action 9 News.

The judge overseeing the case set that particular deadline for March 10th, 2023, giving plaintiffs time to turn the lawsuit into a class-action. Ford came up with a fix for the problem back in 2020, but has not issued a recall, while some owners are reportedly experiencing the issue in later model Ford Super Duty pickups that aren’t included in the original group of model years said to be suffering from death wobble.

Meanwhile, Ford previously filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit – which claims that the automaker violates two express warranties provided to owners – just a few months after it was filed on the grounds that no plaintiff was denied free repairs after experiencing the issue, nor did any plaintiff require multiple repairs to correct the problem.

Ford has denied any wrongdoing in the case, though it has issued a handful of technical service bulletins for steering wheel shaking issues. However, it claims that this problem isn’t related to death wobble.

We’ll have more on this and all other pending Ford lawsuits soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford lawsuit news, Ford F-Series news, Ford Super Duty news, and continuous Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Jeffrey Smith

I’ve got a 2019 f350 srw that is the most dangerous vehicle I’ve ever owned, they did their half ass repair, and if you hit a bridge enlistment you better grab your ass, what a joke

1. Sam

Yet people brag about their Fords.

1. JDE

it is what you get when you use the old solid axle set up. honestly they should have put the SD front axle on the bronco and the IFS on these street queens instead.

2. Eric

2022 F350 Dully 2×4 crew cab. Over 11000 miles, 95% of that towing a 5th wheel RV. No trouble so far for us. Till now, the truck has done 110% positive performance. We’ll see.

3. Sean

This is a VERY common issue, our truck has it. Ford is outright lying by trying to say the TSBs are about a different issue. Ford’s quality has gone downhill like crazy, this isn’t your dad’s Ford anymore. RAM is where it’s at now.

1. John

Rams are a piece of JUNK!

4. Jay barmack

I have a f350 king ranch that damn near got me into a horrible accident iam a disabled first responder I wanna tell u it scared me bad it was all I could do to hold it on the road I called my dealership they were great it took the 4 times but they got it fixed for me they kept getting bad parts from Ford I have had many trucks from Ford and never had this problem till last year either way the Ford
    Super duty truck in my mind are the best heavy truck on the road

5. Doug

How do we apply to join the class action lawsuit

6. David

I have a 2016 6.7 Powerstroke. I’ve brought my truck to numerous dealerships over the last 5 years. I’ve experienced the issue since about 15k miles. Everytime I bring it to a dealership they tell me they know about the issue but there’s nothing they can do and don’t even look at my truck. I’m scared to even tow on the highway as a result I only have 74k miles on my truck. I hope a class action lawsuit happens, I’m considering suing ford to buy my truck for what I paid for it I’m so mad.

7. JDE

get a 2wd tow pig people, or just fix these things correctly. Maybe ask Jeep guys what they do.

8. Sam

I bought a 2016 f250 used over a year ago. It has happened at least twice. Mainly on interstate with cruise control on and hitting a bad spot. I turned off the cruise control and let it slow down and it recovered. It was definitely unnerving the first time it happened.

9. The Gentle Grizzly

Front ends and Fords; some crazy stuff over the decades. The Twin I-Beam pickups ate front tires at a rate double that for Chevys and Dodges.

Then there were the Econoline E350s we had at a place where I worked. At anything over about 35, you had to make constant steering corrections to keep it going straight. Think of those old Jimmy Cagney movies where the cops are chasing The Bad Guys. Cagney at the wheel, turning it back and forth, back and forth. That was not too far off from what we had to do with those E350s.

10. Frank Devooght

I have a 2014 f250 4wd super crew that currently has 62,000 miles on it. The death wobble started at approximately 55,000 miles. I took the truck to two dealerships in the Austin, Tx. area, both wanted me to pay for the fix, >$250.00. My understanding is that dealerships do not know how to fix the issue. How does one join the class action lawsuit?

11. Mike

Ford paid for the 1st steering stabilizer to be replaced. Just under a year later at about 10,000 miles is bad again. Inspected by dealership where bought. Ford said I didn’t have enough loyalty points to be able to do anything for me. I confused how loyalty points have anything to do with faulty parts. Its a 2019 super duty.

12. Jeff

I have been struggling for a few years now with this problem, replaced suspension arms, tires, shocks etc., problem still persists. I own a 2012 F 250 diesel truck, visited many mechanic shops in town, a few shop owners refund me the labor, they just gave up on this truck..
    dealer claims that there is nothing wrong with it.

13. Jackie Scott

I’m the owner of a 2019 F-350 Super duty, I recently experienced a horrible incident that involved a very close escape of an accident on an interstate highway traveling 72 mph towing my 14K 5th wheel camper. My steering wheel began violently shaking to a point I struggled to manage the truck to a stop, needless to say it scared both my wife and me. Since Oct 30th, 2022, event, my truck has done the same thing twice. If I hit a bridge/highway transition or rough road from a construction project, look out, my truck goes out of control. I’ve taken this up with my service department, who I’ve elevated a steering issue for some time, but not to the severity of the Oct 30, 2022, event. After 3 days in the shop, I was told the parts are on back order, so I have to wait. I’m totally perplexed that Ford hasn’t put this type of event at the top of the list to get corrected. I’m devastated, that I’ve got a $74K truck with 20K miles that I’m fearful to drive not knowing when the next event might regard a serious accident. Traveling on an interstate highway and having your truck go out of control and requiring a complete stop to mitigate violent shaking is a complete hazard. I would like help!

14. Fred Kelly

How do I get in on that class action law suit? I had the death wobble too. With my 2016 Ford F-350 supper duty. I took it in to the dealer to be repaired and $2,500 dollars later. They said it was Not covered on any recall or warranty. But to save my receipt’s just in case there is a recall. ?

15. Phil

Bought my F250 4×4 FX new in 2019 , the death wobble started at 30000 miles , dealer said they can not cover the issue because the warranty had exceeded 36 months. I keep it parked in my garage and only use it for pleasure, just like new. Tried contacting Ford Motor directly 11 times and got through twice only to get the run around and a load of Crap feed to me, this is my 9th Ford truck and will be my last.