The 2023 Ford Super Duty represents an all-new generation for the popular pickup, debuting a redesigned interior and exterior styling, a wide array of new tech features, a brand new engine, and a variety of other tweaks and features – although some may not be available until later on in the model year. At the time of its reveal, powertrain and capability features weren’t disclosed, but now, The Blue Oval has made the Super Duty’s exact specifications available.
“The all-new 2023 Super Duty is designed and engineered for America’s builders. Our job is to help make our customers’ work feel easy, and this truck nails that commitment,” said Andrew Kernahan, Super Duty chief program engineer. “The combination of purpose-built construction, powerful engines, 10-speed transmissions and new technology means our customers can work, tow and haul with absolute confidence.”
The new 2023 Ford Super Duty boasts a frame that was strengthened in several key areas in order to offer “the most towing, payload, torque, and horsepower of any heavy-duty full-size truck,” according to the automaker. The Super Duty offers outstanding tow ratings for all types of trailering, accommodating conventional (including pintle), fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailers. The towing capacities are as follows:
Best maximum available gooseneck towing of 40,000 pounds with F-450 pickup (with Ford 6.7L V8 Power Stroke Scorpion engine and optional Max Towing Package)
- Best maximum available gooseneck in F-350/3500 DRW pickup subsegment with 38,000 pounds (Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum and Limited)
- Best maximum available 5th wheel towing of 35,000 pounds with F-450 DRW pickup
- Best maximum available conventional towing capacity in its class at 30,000 pounds (Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum and Limited)
- Best maximum available conventional towing in the F350/3500 DRW subsegment of 28,000 pounds (available on F-350 4×2 regular cab DRW with 6.7L V8 Power Stroke and optional Max Tow Package)
- Best maximum available conventional towing in the F350/3500 SRW subsegment of 25,000 pounds (with 6.7L V8 Power Stroke engine)
- Best diesel F-250/2500 pickups subsegment maximum available towing with F-250 offering 23,000 pounds (available on F-250 4×2 regular cab DRW with 6.7L V8 Power Stroke and optional Max Tow Package)
- F-350 Tremor Off-Road equipped with the Power Stroke high-output diesel is rated at 23,000 pounds towing a gooseneck
- Best maximum available Ford 7.3L V8 Godzilla engine F-350 DRW conventional towing of 22,000 pounds
- Best maximum towing for an F-350/3500 gas Tremor Off-Road with 21,000 pounds (with 7.3L V8 engine)
A myriad of technologies are also available to make towing as easy and safe as possible, no matter the conditions. Pro Trailer Hitch Assist helps steer the truck to align the hitch ball to the receiver. Smart Hitch is available to help distribute trailer weight properly, and the cutting-edge 360-Degree Trailer Camera provides a third-person bird’s eye view of the pickup, cargo box and trailer. A full-color head-up display (HUD) helps drivers maintain focus on the road and displays Turn Navigation, which dictates the easiest route to take when trailering.
Additionally, the 2023 Ford Super Duty offers the best maximum payload rating, supporting up to 8,000 pounds and Onboard Scales to help manage payload weight.
The table below breaks down the power output from each of the three engines available for the 2023 Ford Super Duty.
|6.8L V8 gasoline||405||445||10-Speed Auto|
|7.3L V8 gasoline||4301||4851||10-Speed Auto|
|6.7L Power Stroke V8 diesel||475||1,050||10-Speed Auto|
|6.7L Power Stroke V8 diesel high output||5002||1,2002||10-Speed Auto|
1. Available spring 2023
2. Class is Full-Size Pickups over 8,500 lbs. GVWR. F-350/3500 pickups subsegment includes Ford Super Duty F-350, GMC Sierra 3500, Chevrolet Silverado 3500 and Ram 3500.8 Max. gooseneck tow rating of 38,000 lbs. available on F-350 diesel 4×2 Reg Cab DRW with available 6.7L HO diesel engine and Max Tow Package. Max. towing varies based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, and number of passengers.
Perhaps the most noteworthy figure here is the power output of the new 6.8L V8 gasoline engine, which is rated at 405 horsepower and 445 pound-feet of torque. As exclusively reported by Ford Authority, this engine is all-new for the 2023 Ford Super Duty, and will begin production at the Ford Windsor Engine Plant in January 2023.
Order banks for the 2023 Super Duty are open as of October 27th, 2022. The pickup is assembled at the Kentucky Truck plant in Louisville, Kentucky, and Ohio Assembly plant in Avon Lake, Ohio. As previously reported by Ford Authority, production will begin in early 2023, starting with Initial Job 1 assembly for XL, XLT, and Lariat trims in all cab configurations, engines, and series, from the F-250 up to the F-600. Meanwhile, Job 2 2023 Super Duty production for King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited trims will follow in the spring of 2023. Pricing currently starts at $45,765, incuding $1,795 for destination and delivery.