Here’s Why The Modern Ford Mustang Lineup Lacks Fog Lights

The all-new S650 2024 Ford Mustang debuted just a couple of weeks ago, ushering in an entirely new era for the iconic model, as well as quite a few changes. However, one thing that hasn’t changed – at least compared to the current, S550 generation model – is that the next-gen Ford Mustang doesn’t have traditional fog lights, which were present on prior gen models like the S197. It’s a somewhat curious omission, though there is a reason for that absence.

For the S550 generation, Ford placed the Mustang’s front turn signal lamps where fog lights would traditionally go. The 2024 Mustang, however, has all of those lighting elements contained within the headlamp assembly, which would seemingly free up that space for the addition of fog lights. However, that isn’t the case, chiefly because fog lights simply aren’t necessary in today’s world.

“Yeah I think with lighting technology today it’s so good and the LEDs are so bright and provide a very good amount of light, it’s almost one of those things that we didn’t need to do,” Christopher Walter, Ford Mustang design manager, told Ford Authority Executive Editor, Alex Luft, at the 2024 Ford Mustang reveal in Dearborn last month.

Aside form the lack of fog lights, the 2024 Ford Mustang was able to soldier on in spite of FoMoCo’s electrification push with no sort of hybrid or EV powertrain thanks to the presence of the Ford Mustang Mach-E, as Ford Authority reported last month. However, while V8 power and a manual transmission are still available in the GT, EcoBoost-powered pony cars are now automatic-only. Those seeking a higher-performance variant also have the motorsports-focused Dark Horse to choose from, which was named after the literal term, not the model’s color palette.

We’ll have more on the Mustang soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Mustang news and ongoing Ford news coverage.

[nggallery id=107]

Comments

1. Mortimer Duke

Don’t forget the 36¢ per vehicle saved.

1. The Gentle Grizzly

Also, don’t forget the most factory fog lights are a little more of the toys. If you want proper fog, lamps or driving labs, all of them are aftermarket.

1. Al

Very true, and most people don’t have any idea when to use them or even how to turn them on or off. Proper use (in fog) is with the marker lights on, headlights off so no glare is produced. The quote about “very good amount of light” means that guy doesn’t know how fog lights are supposed to be used either.

2. Mark B

I would wager that they weren’t necessary on the 2015 S550 introduction and were probably more of a styling additional than anything else. I never found a need to use mine. I think when I purchased my ’17, I tried them once, mainly to ensure that they worked and that was the last time.

What I think was a really functional addition are the corner tracking headlamps on my ’16 Focus ST! Now those are really useful.

3. JDE

the bigger question is are those brake vents functional or just stupid faux Boi Racer Civic SI things.

4. NCEcoBoost

So why is it that many vehicles with LED front lights fail the IIHS lighting standards and thereby fail to garner Top Safety Pick or Top Safety Pick+ designations? Not all front LEDs are that great, so this is a blasphemous statement by Ford.

1. JAK

Agree, there are different grades of leds and light output, just like incandescent bulbs. Is Ford putting the best leds available in their vehicles?

2. Robert.Walter

Blasphemous? Seriously?

5. Guitarded

““Yeah I think with lighting technology today it’s so good and the LEDs are so bright and provide a very good amount of light, it’s almost one of those things that we didn’t need to do,” Christopher Walter, Ford Mustang design manager…”

Tell me you don’t drive on highways at night without telling me you don’t drive on highways at night.

1. Stalkbroker94

I drive at night and have done so for the last several years. My car is a base model Crown Vic and I’ve never needed fog lights.
      “Tell me you pretend to know what you’re talking about without knowing what you’re talking about.”

6. Charles R

I personally think fog lamps make certain vehicles look better. I don’t care about whether they help with seeing better at night. I just think they look good on a Mustang.

1. Bob Brown

It’s all about the looks. I totally agree with Charles!!!

2. Robert.Walter

In the US, the purpose of most factory fog or driving lights is as a stylistic element.

7. Dwayne D

Fog lights are lower on the vehicle for a reason. Its so the light doesn’t bounce off the fog and make it harder to see. If you put the high beams on in the fog it make seeing worst. When I put my fog lights on it illuminates low and more left and right for better visibility. BS from Ford.

8. JC

Because LED lighting IS so bright, you need fog lamps to see without the glare. We use our factory fogs often on rural roads (a non-Ford vehicle).

9. jbbooky

So we go from idiots driving with fogs on annoying oncoming traffic to led headlites blinding oncoming traffic.

10. Michael J Genzale

My understanding of the uniqueness of fog lights is: lens focus is in a downward path. Contrary to the Ford spokesperson claiming brightness of LED tech negating need of fog lights. Brightness is a distant second to direction. In fog, heavy rain or snow, regular beams, but especially hi- beams bounce the light of the fog, rain or snow decreasing vision, not improving illumination.

1. Robert.Walter

Could be the ford guy’s statement also belies how Ford has looked at supplemental lighting, more as a high beam supplement rather than intended as a true fog light. (But mostly as a stylistic element.)

11. Robert.Walter

Personally I’m looking forward to when someone creative crams some big round Cibie lamps into the grille opening Shelby Style, or into the brake duct openings, or even some little yellow rectangular example under the center section.

12. hot toddy

wondering when car the car enthusiast became an interior decorator ? There is a new generation of Mustang. Be happy while you still can.