2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R Fraction Of Total Lineup Production

The Blue Oval pulled the veil off the aggressive 2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R back in July of this year, adding a formidable supercharged V8 engine to the F-Series line of pickups. Now, as the critically praised Raptor R makes it way to dealers, one question remained unanswered: just what percentage of Raptor models will wear the prestigious “R” badge? Ford Authority set out to get the answer, and sources have indicated that Raptor R production will represent a minority of total Raptor line production.

According to sources familiar matter, 2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R production will account for just about 30 percent of total Raptor production. In other words, the Raptor R will likely be difficult to come by, considering that it will account for less than one-third of total 2023 F-150 Raptor models built. At the moment, it is unclear if things will change for 2024 and beyond.

The good news is that customers interested in the high-performance F-150 Raptor line will have plenty of opportunity to snag a “regular” Raptor model, relatively speaking. In fact, the two vehicles are not that much different when it comes to exterior dimensions or overall curb weight, but the true distinction lies within the guts of each pickup. The 2023 Ford F-150 Raptor features the twin-turbocharged Ford 3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine, which produces 450 horsepower and 510 pound-feet of torque. The Raptor R, meanwhile, harnesses 700 horsepower and 640 pound-feet of torque, thanks to its supercharged 5.2L V8 Predator powerhouse.

2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R

From an aesthetic standpoint, the Raptor R features unique graphics and exterior design touches over its “regular” Raptor counterpart. The Raptor R features the unique “R” badging, which can be found on grille, hood vent and tailgate applique. Its accents are blacked out instead of chrome, which is found on the “regular” F-150 variants, and also features Code Orange tow hooks for a splash of color on the front end.

We’ll have more on the F-150 Raptor R soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford F-Series newsFord F-150 newsFord F-150 Raptor news, and comprehensive Ford news coverage.

Alexandra is a Colorado-based journalist with a passion for all things involving horsepower, be it automotive or equestrian.

Comments

1. Michael J Genzale

700 HP pick up truck. Give the people what they want.
    Someone whispered in Fords ear…”If you build it, they will come” (buy).
    Love it, the great comedian George Carlin said that you can buy anything in America. Anything. Somebody somewhere makes it. Amen to that!

2. Jdub

After all that wait and you don’t stand a chance to buy a Raptor R. If you did get a chance at one, the Stealers (dealers) are demanding outrageous up charges.

3. John

Fantastic truck! But after looking at how rare it’s going to be and the absurd dealer markups, I went ahead and bought a TRX. The Raptor R and TRX are VERY similar overall with some minor pros and cons to each, but the Raptor R isn’t worth any more or any less than a TRX. With some of these dealer markups, people will be paying up to $60k more for the Raptor R over a TRX, it’s just not worth THAT much.

4. RWFA

Except to the Ford fans who won’t be happy with a Toyota.

1. CC

TRX is a Ram (Dodge)

1. RWFA

See, no difference!

5. truth speaker

william shatner shocked face

6. Bruce J

I own the 2022 Raptor, and I’m here to tell you , it dose not need a bigger engine . The high performance 3.5 is way more than enough power to off road any where you want. Done correctly , you never even use all that it will give you. Even at for the Baja Race , you’ll never exceed 80mpg. So STOP THE MADNESS .
    They are in fact Incredible trucks , just as they are.

1. LV

I own a 2019 Raptor, and I’m here to tell you, it needs a V8.

2. John

I own a 2022 TRX and I’m here to tell Ford, the V6 in the Raptor checked it off my list immediately. As will any EV. There is still a market for V8 powered vehicles, it doesn’t need to be all or nothing. There is room in the market to provide OPTIONS for people.

1. RWFA

Given this premium priced package represents a large 30% take rate fraction, Ford’s obviously not too concerned with trying to attract every last V8-only, or no-EV fractional splinter of potential customers.

Because resources aren’t unlimited, and you can’t be all things to all potential customers you have to limit offerings and be content to sim for the sweet spot if the market that maximizes profit.

In the long ago long gone olde days up to about 1970-75 for car, perhaps a bit later got truck, you could make a big engine bay and stuff half a dozen engine displacements with an eye watering combination of different trans and axles as well.

Given its enormously expensive to design, develop, certify, tool, and contract for producing different engine, trans ir powertrain configurations, Ford clearly looked at the market and sees the marginal cost and marginal profit of being all powertrain things to all people as not productive. (Given that these resources could be used more productively on some other project.)

7. Steve

Is this a one and done limited edition only for 2023? Do we expect them to continue for 2024? Need to know if I have to order ASAP or can I wait to save up some down payment coin.

1. Mike Delaney

I have a confirmed order for a Raptor R and just received my third supply chain shortage letter on why it has not been built yet. I wonder how many supply chain letters Ford will send out before they actually schedule and build my truck. I have bought hundreds of Fords as a Fleet Customer and never have seen service this bad. EV orders must be their priority, but they make more money on Raptors.

1. Mike Delaney

Just received my build week of February 6th and the vin number! Should be to me in March sometime if no other delays pop up.

1. a k

You are one of the lucky few. I just keep getting sorry letters. order was placed july 20.

1. J.R.

I also placed my order on July 20th. I received a third sorry letter as well.
            My dealer however told me that the truck is now scheduled to be built in February and should be delivered in March. See if your dealer can make some calls.

2. R Williams

that’s awesome. I got my last supply chain shortage email on December 2, and was expecting another one on this week (every 45 days) but it hasn’t come. hope to get some good news on a build date soon since I didn’t get the supply shortage email