Ford Transit Hybrid Not Being Developed At This Time

Quite a few changes have taken place in the Ford Transit lineup over the past couple of years, chiefly among them, the introduction of the all-electric E-Transit and the off-road-focused, upfit-friendly Transit Trail. With The Blue Oval placing a major focus – and investing billions of dollars – on electrification, it would make sense for the automaker to offer a hybrid powertrain in its best-selling van, too, but a Ford Transit hybrid doesn’t seem to be in the cards, as Ray Eyles, Chief Program Engineer for Ford Transit North America, revealed in a recent Reddit Q&A session.

“We have no plans for a hybrid Transit Trail, but having launched the all-electric E-Transit earlier this year, we’ll continue to invest in growing that segment in the future,” Eyles said, seemingly shooting down the notion of a Ford Transit Hybrid altogether. However, it seemingly wouldn’t be that difficult to make such a vehicle, given the fact that the Transit Trail comes equipped with the twin-turbocharged Ford 3.5L V6 EcoBoost as standard equipment, and the automaker already sells the Ford F-150 with its 3.5L V6 PowerBoost hybrid setup.

Even though it was just revealed last month, the Ford Transit Trail could be in line for some changes in the near future. Those include modular systems where owners could easily install things like shelving or sinks, preinstalled connections for solar panels and inverters, and turnkey camping options like HVAC systems and additional plumbing. For now, however the current-gen Transit isn’t expected to receive any major changes, anytime soon.

Regardless, the new Transit Trail launched bearing several unique features when compared to its European counterpart, including its Blue Oval badged front grille and extra marker lamps, giving it a distinct appearance. It’s also designed to be easy to upfit for camping and other adventure-seeking activities, which should make the van an appealing choice for those caught up in the current “van life” movement.

We’ll have more on the 2023 Transit Trail soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford Transit news and ongoing Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. Crabbymilton

I always liked full size vans. I liked them as a kid growing up in the 1970’s and being a delivery driver for the last 37+ years, I started off driving them. They are a great value as passenger vans for families as a lower cost alternative to a full size SUV. They have proven themselves as airport/hotel shuttles. It’s good to see them generating some more interest among non commercial customers regardless of configuration.

2. David Dickinson II

Not offering a hybrid is a big mistake. The big battery can help power all the goodies people put in their van. The vehicle would be its own generator. Ford should make a hybrid.

3. Brad Burrows

So disappointing to hear no powerboost for the Transit. It would dramatically improve towing and offer improved power and efficiency options where none exist in an over the road vehicle that can go beyond BEV range. Looks like we’re back to traditional Diesel power trains and large V8 gas save the F150 Powerboost itself.

4. Travis

When we recently renewed our fleet we went ICE and successfully persuaded two of our partners to do the same. The operating costs were much higher for the EV/hybrid options. Ford is in deep financial trouble due to Jim Farley’s failed EV push. He’s learning the hard way Americans can’t be forced to buy something.

1. RWFA

You and your partners might want to revisit your TCO assumptions.

1. Travis

Nope. We deal with the costs, not you. EVs are a financial pit any way you shake it.

1. RWFA

Fantasy Big Oil FUD. (Or possibly you need a, or a better, comptroller.)

(Not knowing what TCO is, is a pretty big giveaway of cost management incompetence.)

Click to EditDelete  (3 minutes and 34 seconds)

2. Jeremy

The only Fords I’ve owned that haven’t been a total nightmare were hybrids. You don’t know what you’re talking about. I hate that I have owned 3 trash transits with a 4th on order. My job limits me to Transits which is unfortunate. But I’d trust them more as hybrids

2. Jeremy

I’ve owned two hybrid Fords and they’re the only Fords I’ve owned that haven’t been a total nightmare. I’ve owned 3 transits for work with a 4th on order. Only because I have to have that vehicle due to contract obligations. It’s terrible unreliable from blown gaskets to valve actuators for the transmission and blown turbos. I’d die for a hybrid

5. Florentino Cruz

Very disappointing Transit news. Trail is just hype, good only on paper. I want to order AWD Transit High Roof, Ext. Length, RV Package but Ford is not accepting any orders. No news when they will open up, it could be two years from now. A MB Sprinter is a good possibility.

1. Jeremy

Just buy a cargo van. The benefits of the trail aren’t worth the price

6. Jake

I would be in the market for a hybrid but pure EV is garbage to me since I’m not a last-mile delivery driver.