Latest 2023 Ford Maverick Production Constraints Revealed

More than a year after it launched, the Ford Maverick remains in high demand and short supply, to the point where The Blue Oval cut off 2023 model year orders after they were open for just a few days. Regardless, FoMoCo continues to battle various supply chain constraints as it aims to fulfill all of the outstanding Maverick orders it has taken, which isn’t making the process any easier. Now, the latest 2023 Ford Maverick production constraints have been revealed, which should be of particular interest to those with a pending order.

First, as has previously been the case, the 2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid remains in high demand, with current retail orders – which represent 73 percent of the total mix – far surpassing the automaker’s production capacity of 35 percent. The same goes for the base XL trim, which currently makes up 26 percent of total 2023 orders, though capacity it limited to just 15 percent at the moment.

In terms of individual options and packages, Ford Co-Pilot360, the Co-PIlot360 Assist Package, XLT Luxury Package, Lariat Luxury Package, and Tremor Off-Road Package remain supply constrained as well. However, Ford has made progress with other previously challenged item – the spray-in bedliner. In fact, it’s offering customers a discount if they pair that feature with the Cargo Management System that effectively makes the latter option free.

Even though order banks for the 2023 Maverick are closed, customers can still make changes to their orders before their pickups are scheduled for production, and that may in fact speed up the process if supply constrained items are removed. Production of the 2023 Ford Maverick began at the Hermosillo Assembly plant in Mexico on November 23rd, 2022, while deliveries are on track to begin later this month, as Ford Authority previously reported.

We’ll have more on the Maverick very soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for more Ford Maverick news and non-stop Ford news coverage.

Comments

1. EcoBoost29579

These production constraints are getting old and many are now highly suspect that it isn’t true but staged.

1. RWFA

Please explain your fever dream.

1. morris combs

I ordered a 2022 on Sept 5 2021. I got a VIN number and build dates starting in Oct 2022. Final build date was 12/19/2022 Then they converted my order to a 2023. I have not had any update. I went to dealer and he had nothing to say. This is a XL with nothing on it.

2. Bob

I agree totally. Ford is just playing games with production to make dealers huge markups in a time when consumers are getting the shaft from all sides. Anyone think Ford can’t make more of these trucks by adding shifts or opening other sites. Thanks Ford.

1. RWFA

Bring your proof to the SEC and win a reward for the fines Ford will get for Ford management making “material false statements”, but if not, maybe just sit down quietly.

2. david bellflower

Never buying a Ford again…

3. Allen Howell

Dealer markup is only for people who refuse to wait. We waited 10 months, paid MSRP. If you are able to wait you should pay no mark up.

2. Mike

How can Ford not have any supply constraints for the Lightning, which they added a third shift and increased production, but still have for the Maverick, where they are only producing less then half the number of Lightning and probably slowing production?

1. RWFA

Ford: This is our new cigar.

Mike: How come you’re not making more cigarettes?

Ford: Limited supply of tobacco.

Mike: You’re wasting all tobacco on cigars.

Ford: Our cigar was more popular than we planned, we had to expand the plant and add another shift. But we are still producing cigarettes as fast as we can.

Mike: Your cigar production is a conspiracy to confound people who want cigarettes. It’s probably communism too! Fire Farley!

Ford: For the first time in the history of MotorTrend’s TOTY, the judges unanimously voted our cigar to be the best!

EvoBoostNC: It’s all staged!

JW: It’s all an upsell scam to make big margins but small profits! Yes! I’m making sense!

JDE: I love sedans! I love Ford! I stopped buying Ford’s them the day Ford stopped making them! I know it’s not a truck but sell your worthless Ford stock and buy an electric Tesla sedan instead!**

Ford: Gents, this is an eCigar.

** And in the meantime Musk dumps shares in Tesla, to wit:
      – $8.5 billion in April.
      – $6.9 billion in August.
      – $3.95 billion In November (after vowing he was done selling).
      – $3.58 billion in December.

FA commentariat: Can’t we just concentrate on cold weather and grid apocalypse? Also, Communism is anything or anybody we don’t understand or are jealous of!

2. Mrx19

It’s all about the Benjamins, my friend.

1. Larry McElvogue

All double speak. No real progress or answers. Chevrolet and Chrysler are looking better every time Ford throws out useless numbers.

1. RWFA

And in the meantime, even the great and all powerful Toyota announced more production cutbacks due to … oh wait for it … supply chain issues.

3. JW

Ford has very little interest in actually selling these because they’re a low margin product and they’d rather sell you a larger truck for 25k more. The whole “supply constraint” issue is manufactured to protect their profit margins which are at all time highs.

1. RWFA

Allocating scarce components where they best serve is what responsible management does.

Given your clear ignorance of this it is hoped nobody depends on you for a paycheck.

Such idiocy. Profit margins at all time highs don’t pay dividends or pay back bank loans.

If you’re just not daft, then what’s your agenda with such nonsense?

4. RWFA

Oh look, another account from the internet troll farm testing viability!

5. Carroll Guidry

Waiting to see my name come up we working on your ford Maverick truck.
    Thank

6. jack

maybe ford should start throwing out free money like our so called president does.he thinks it fixes all his problems. maybe it will fix fords.

1. Jim VanCise

Turns out that it pretty much does.

1. Jim VanCise

At least, much more so than just totally ignoring them as was previously the case.

2. RWFA

Do-called?

Shouldn’t you be at an Oath Boys NFT swap meeting or some such?

There you can grumble about:
      – record employment
      – retreating inflation
      – current national gas prices of 3.19$/g
      – improving infrastructure
      – increasing national security
      – deeds not bluster
      – etc
      – etc

1. david bellflower

Is this Brandon?????

Is this a new orifice?

☑️ Brandon rhetoric.

☑️ Hateful Orifice level unlocked.

7. David S

Interesting – why did Ford even take orders for 2023 if they had such a backlog of 2022 orders ? Should have said – hey we can make so few were just going to send what we can cobble together to dealerships who will rape you on the markup over MSRP and thats that. They claim that the Maverick standard model is the hybrid then say well….. we can only build 35% of the trucks as hybrid. Then to top it off Ford says – hey the XL models are constrained and over ordered so some of you wont get that 22K XL you ordered because ….. it has LESS options as the XLT or Lariat ??? You might be able to scream “supply chain issues” on anything else but to say “capacity is limited to 15% on our cheapest truck with the fewest options is a constraint” is really a joke. Come on Ford.

1. RWFA

Cobble together? Are you silly?

Transferring capacity from the higher trim units to the loss leader version? Are you daft?

Please don’t disrespect yourself with such nonsense.

1. JDE

I would say the issue is two fold. someone clearly missed the boat on forecasting trim level demand, and as you said they are not willing to cover the orders from the previously expected higher option models. I agree it makes Financial sense to a point to increase or build the higher profit models regardless where the demand really seems to be, but in the end it definitely does not win current or future customers to basically blow them off and not build them what they ordered.

1. RWFA

Sometimes you have to deal with the problems of the day, to live to deal with the problems that are not of the day.

I’m sure Ford would want to keep all its customers but if it’s a case of adjusting the mix to do that at the expense of the need to try and achieve cash flow and profit in a very difficult environment, then the need will best the want every time.

8. Denis Raby

Ordered a Maverick Oct. 15 2021 only to have to convert my order to a 2023 thirteen months later. Then only to read about Ford fulfilling fleet orders first and now, to read about further production constraints.
    As a retired Ford employee it sure is disheartening to see the company I labored for 32 years unable to supply vehicles in a timely manner. That’s what you get I guess, when you farm out most if not all parts to other countries. Countries where the people can’t and won’t ever be able to afford to buy the product they make. Henry Ford once said: “You can’t built a reputation on what you are going to do. Vision without execution is just hallucination.”

1. RWFA

I suppose that in your 32 years, Ford never suffered from a global supply disruption affecting every producer around the world.

My take away from this is that former Ford employees aren’t getting special treatment before retail customers.

As for fleet, if it’s getting preferential treatment, it makes sense. In a chaotic supply environment it brings a bit of stability to be able to order batches of components for fleet builds, it also helps to balance the line by putting a fleet unit between the high content vehicles.

Balancing the line improves operations and reduces stress for workers and improves build quality.

As for the HF1 quote, I would note that no complex undertaking was ever successful without a plan and no transformative plan was ever undertaken without a vision informing the goals of the plan.

1. Eric Barrows

Brilliant!

2. JDE

OK Farley!

1. RWFA

You’re welcome my beloved Johnny One Note!

3. MMMMEEEE

Well, duuuhhhh! Why was there no supply constraint in the past????? Maybe because those supplies were produced mainly in the USA. Think about it……

9. BB

In 1964 thru 1966 ford produced 1.3 million mustangs.But with modern technology ford will produce in 2 years maybe 160 thousand mavericks!!!

1. RWFA

You back with that nonsense again?

Why did you stop before the counter factual Robert McNamara climax?

10. Naww boyee, aww saazz naww!; Eeddz, beegannin ta loook laak, dizz eez, aaww saaz naw , aaw fiisshin treep!; iffinn yuu nOzzz wad iiiee meeenze nawwow! Boyee!

1. RWFA

No, we are not going to try that email address Mr Spammer.

11. JM

It seems like I’m suppose to leave a snarky comment followed by a reply from RWFA. I’m not into that. There is something I actually want to know. You state that “Ford has made progress with other previously challenged item – the spray-in bedliner. In fact, it’s offering customers a discount if they pair that feature with the Cargo Management System that effectively makes the latter option free.” I previously removed all options from my XLT order hoping to have better luck getting my truck. Will Ford or my dealer contact me about adding back the spray-in bedliner or should I add it back to the order myself? thanks

1. RWFA

Yours is a fair question.

I suggest you call and hound dog the dealer on this; don’t count on a dealer to proactively contact you as they are far from mind readers.

As in most things, it’s the follow ups that ensure the best of timely results.

12. Joe Schmo

Absolute BS
    Ordered a 2022 model in Sept. 2021.
    Never got it.
    Now changed to a 2023 model with “price protection.”
    Dealership never proactively gives me updates.
    Should ask for my $500 deposit back PLUS interest, since they’ve had my money for over a year, and I have…..$#!T

1. david bellflower

Dealer screwed up rollover got deposit back buying corolla cross instead…

1. RWFA

Here it is, the latest Toyota fluffer.

Funny he’s not in the Toyota site basking in his confirmation bias.

Now why would that be?

13. TMou

Two words: Toyota Stout. After waiting over a year with nothing to show for my deposit but another email from Ford moaning about ongoing supply chain issues that are preventing production efforts, I am going to look elsewhere.

1. jeff sproul

True Toyota will be releasing a compact hybrid pickup in 2025 called the Stout. I would say if Ford doesn’t get the production of the Maverick settled by 2025 that Toyota will have a lead in this segment if it is able to produce enough compact pickups to meet demand in a timely fashion. If that happens Ford will have to play catch up. Hyundai might actually get to full production of the Santa Cruz before Ford does with the Maverick. I like my Maverick and it was worth the wait I had but this is a segment that is under served and ready for more competition. I came close to pulling the trigger and buying a Santa Cruz but at the time the Santa Cruz was in short supply. I would say that many waiting for their Mavericks would quickly buy another brand of compact pickup if it were available.

No doubt about that.

But just keep in mind that the Maverick is where Ford’s puck has been. If the competition skates to where the Maverick is now, they will miss being where Fords puck is headed.

Fact is that Ford itself will bringing out new vehicles that compete with and siphon away Maverick buyers and in a few short years Ford will replace the current version of Maverick with something new (probably w/a BEV powertrain.).

14. Tom

So if there is 35% capacity to build hybrids and more than 70% of the orders are for hybrids does that mean half of the hybrid orders will not be filled in 2023???

1. RWFA

I think that’s a fair take should Ford be unable to adjust mix to meet demand.

But I think it also assumes, possibly inaccurately at the extreme, that Ford could fulfill every order in a 1:1 way.

Given that it’s not only hybrid p/t that are creating supply interruptions, there could be a scenario where hybrid production is not the limiting factor (or better said, not the leading constraint), and could thus exceed 35% of the producible volume.

But I’ve not got any present knowledge into such details.

15. Ravcolt

Ford is just following our current political leaders to help make America horrible again.

1. RWFA

The ignorance, intolerance and hate that must stand behind such a gratuitous drive-by comment are quite sad my friend. Do try to be better.

1. JS

You must live in an information vacuum.

16. Lowell

I ordered a Ford Maverick XLT on December 3rd of this year, 2022. There was no mark up. I had to sign an agreement and deposit $500.00 honest money which will go for partial payment on the truck when it arrives. If I don’t get the truck, I get the money back. I am going to relax this winter and when the truck arrives next spring, I am going to drive it to Oklahoma and have some fun.

1. John

I hate to burst your bubble, but you didn’t order anything. The order banks closed in September.

17. Billy

I ordered a base Maverick XL with the now no increase in price Ecoboost engine. I did not add any features at all. How can my order be constrained? Why have I not heard of a production date yet? Very curious.

18. Steve

At this point with production issues/ price increases higher interest rates definitely will hit the bottom line on some obtaining financing to purchase these vehicles and average income earner with today’s inflation could cripple the industry in ways we hadn’t seen before pricing on these vehicles are way out of reach for many
    Who in there right mind would finance a new vehicle for 82 months that vehicle would need a pile of maintenance before its paid for. Leasing would be and option for some buyers pending on mileage use per year. my opinion it’s not good the industry itself is pricing themselves out the market in some of these vehicles

19. Cody

I ordered a 2023 XLT Maverick, day 2 of being open, 13th on the list at that dealership. Thing is, I need it for work, I don’t currently have a truck, if they don’t deliver in time for March/April/May, I dunno what I’ll do.
    So take off bedliner, can you go without GPS etc on it, and have em install it later? Really only need Bluetooth music. I can get a portable speaker phone for business, and a extra cell for Navigation .
    I’d rent lease a non hybrid but im gonna put on 100 miles a day…
    I may earn 160k this year, but I don’t wanna spend 15k on gas!
    Who do I gotta bone to get my Maverick by May?

20. Steve

I ordered a 2022 on Sept 5 2021. I got a VIN number and build dates starting in Oct 2022. Final build date was 12/19/2022 Then they converted my order to a 2023. I just got an estimated delivery date of 3/5/2023 18 months after my origional order.

This is not the 60s soviet block. I should not have to wait over a year.

21. Grand Master

Glad I purchased my Kia Soul or else I’d still be without a vehicle while waiting on Ford!!!!

22. D.McDonald

I ordered a Maverick in Sept. 2022. A few months ago Ford e-mailed me a promise to inform me about my truck’s build and delivery status every 45 days, so now it’s soon to be 2023. I’ve not heard a word or e-mail, is their a good explanation as to why they are not getting back to me? Should I try to get my deposit back?

1. Niteman9

I got the same email. I’ve got 2 updates since then. Check your spam box.

23. Paul

I got my 22 Maverivk XL Hybrid in Jan. of ’21. I usually get 55 to 65 mpg in the summer. 39 to 45 now as I need a heater. I went 780 miles on one tank and still had 34 miles left. I was lucky to get it. Everytime they delayed the build date I reminded Ford I ordered a1965 Ford Fairlane with a Mustang drive train brand new and got it in 3 WEEKS. MY MAVERICK TOOK 6 months. So much for computers and modern machines.

24. Dave

Not sure how ford determines the order of production and shipping. I have seen individuals with picture proof they ordered after I did but say they have received there Maverick hybrids with more options than I ordered

25. Darryl J Owen

With the current president, things will only get worse, not better. Hold on to your pants, this is going to be a rough ride!

26. jack morris

i ordered a 2023 xlt hybred the 15th of sept and recieved conformation by 4pm pacific time the 15th and a follow up later 45 days later and since then nothing. is there any way to find out any info. any insight would be appreciated. dealer nows nothing.