Ford Authority

Ford Transit Connect Sales Almost Halved During Q1 2023

Ford Transit Connect sales decreased in the United States during Q1 2023.

Ford Transit Connect Sales - Q1 2023 - United States

In the United States, Ford Transit Connect deliveries totaled 3,823 units in Q1 2023, a decrease of about 48 percent compared to 7,357 units sold in Q1 2022.
MODEL Q1 2023 / Q1 2022 Q1 2023 Q1 2022
TRANSIT CONNECT -48.04% 3,823 7,357

Ford Transit Connect Sales - Q1 2023 - Mexico

In Mexico, Ford Transit Connect deliveries totaled 118 units in Q1 2023.
MODEL Q1 2023 / Q1 2022 Q1 2023 Q1 2022

Competitive Sales Comparison (USA)

Ford Transit Connect sales tanked 48 percent during Q1 2023 to 3,823 units placing The Blue Oval’s entry into the compact van segment in second – or last – place.

It followed the Ram ProMaster City, which by comparison, saw its sales grow 232 percent to 5,678 units, outperforming the Transit Connect by quite a lot. Note that the Nissan NV200, which as been discontinued, is no longer a competitor in the segment. Additionally, the Ram ProMaster City has also been cancelled, but stock is still available for buyers at the moment.

Sales Numbers - Compact Vans - Q1 2023 - USA

MODEL Q1 23 / Q1 22 Q1 23 Q1 22 Q1 23 SHARE Q1 22 SHARE
RAM PROMASTER CITY +232.24% 5,678 1,709 60% 19%
FORD TRANSIT CONNECT -48.04% 3,823 7,357 40% 81%
TOTAL +4.80% 9,501 9,066

In terms of segment share, the ProMaster City captured 60 percent share, up 41 percentage points, leaving the remaining 40 percent share to Ford Transit Connect sales, which saw its share contract 41 percentage points.

Overall, the compact van segment expanded five percent to 9,501 units, meaning that comparatively, Ford Transit Connect sales severely underperformed the segment average.

The Ford Authority Take

Once again, Ford Transit Connect sales posted a steep decline in Q1 2023. This isn’t entirely a surprise, as The Blue Oval recently confirmed that the Ford Transit Connect is on the chopping block, and it will be fully discontinued after the 2023 model year is built out. Ford cites its reasoning for this decision as part of “efforts to reduce global manufacturing cost and complexity, alongside decreased demand for the compact van segment.” As such, we expect Transit Connect sales to continue to slip until it has completed its production run in the U.S.

It’s worth noting that the latest Ford Transit Connect does not introduce any major changes to the compact van line. The current-gen model has been in production and largely unchanged since the 2013 model year, though it did undergo a mid-cycle refresh for the 2019 model year. However, the 2023 Transit Connect ditched its optional 2.5L I4 engine and is now only available with the the 2.0L I4 engine.

About The Numbers

Alexandra is a Colorado-based journalist with a passion for all things involving horsepower, be it automotive or equestrian.

Subscribe to Ford Authority

For around-the-clock Ford news coverage

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates. It's totally free.


  1. Jay

    My 2021 Transit Connect Titanium passenger van replaced a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan which I purchased new. The Caravan was going strong when I sold it in 2021 with 205000 miles on it. I hope the same for the Transit. I do like it much more than the Dodge.

  2. Gary Konen

    I find your story about Transit Connect incorrect. I ordered a Transit Connect Cargo XLT in February of 2022 . I still have no confirmation or build date. The only reason Promaster is out selling the highly in demand Transit Cargo is they have them and Ford can’t deliverer or even accept orders. Why is this?? People love Trandit Connect but Ford does not even accept orders and build them . I would love to know why I have not heard anything from Ford about my order. Could you find out what the delay is. Not everybody wants a big van .


Leave a comment