UAW President Shawn Fain announced this afternoon that his union will not stage additional walkouts at Ford, General Motors, or Stellantis facilities this week, citing progress in talks with the latter two automakers. The update arrives more than one week after the union shut down the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant unexpectedly and declared that future actions would be unannounced. Fain expressed contempt for Bill Ford’s press conference that was held on Monday, and castigated the automaker for declaring a dividend.
“I’m happy to report that in the past 24 hours, we’ve seen serious movement from both Stellantis and GM. Meanwhile, Ford continues to stew about KTP [Kentucky Truck Plant] and pretend they can’t afford what they’re asking for,” said Fain. ” Additionally, Fain panned the company’s decision to offer a dividend for the fourth quarter of 2023 and criticized Bill Ford’s press conference where he stated that jobs at plants like the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center were at risk if the company had to offer more to workers as part of a new contract. Fain also said that the union will only initiate new stand-up strikes if it feels it will make a difference at the bargaining table.
As Ford Authority previously reported, Ford CEO Jim Farley and newly minted COO Kumar Galhotra have claimed that the company is near the limit on what it can offer the union. While the automaker did not disclose where it stands in relation to ongoing negotiations, reports indicate that EV plants are the main dividing issue preventing a deal at this juncture.
UAW President Shawn Fain Livestream Update 10/20/23 https://t.co/6esYNhiez9
— UAW (@UAW) October 20, 2023
Currently, three assembly plants remain offline due to the strike: Michigan Assembly plant, Chicago Assembly plant, and Kentucky Truck plant. Aside from those facilities, the automaker has laid off workers at several locations impacted by the walkouts, with workers at Sterling Axle plant being among the group most recently affected by the ongoing strike.