Ford Authority

Ford Motor Company São Bernardo Assembly Plant – São Bernardo, Brazil

The Ford Motor Company São Bernardo assembly plant is located in the city of São Bernardo, in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. The facility, which opened its doors in 1967, now overseas the production of vehicles like the Ford EcoSport, Ford Edge, Ford Focus, Ford Fusion and the Ford Ranger sold worldwide.

Ford Brazil began its operations by importing Ford Model T cars and Ford Model TT trucks from the United States in kit form, to be then reassembled in Brazil. Throughout its rich economic history, Ford Brazil went through a slew of corporate changes. For instance, in 1987, it merged with Volkswagen to create AutoLatina, where Ford held 49% of the shares. The partnership lasted until 1994.

This page shows information about the Ford Motor Company São Bernardo assembly plant.

Quick Facts

Year opened1967
Facility size11,840,301 square feet (109,999 m2)
Land occupied312 acres
LocationTaboão Avenue, 899, São Bernardo do Campo, São Paulo 09655-900, Brazil
Hourly employeesTBA
Salaried employeesTBA
Total employees2,782


VehiclesProduction Years
Ford Belina1970-1991
Ford Cargo1981-2019
Ford Corcel II1978-1986
Ford CoupeN/A
Ford Courier1998-2013
Ford Del Ray1981-1991
Ford EcoSport2003-present
Ford Escort1983-1996
Ford Fiesta1996-2019
Ford F-1001957-1997
Ford F-2501999-2012
Ford F-250 Tropivan1999-2012
Ford F-6001957-1974
Ford F-10001979-1998
Ford Galaxie1967-1979
Ford Galaxie LTD1969-1981
Ford Ka1997-present
Ford Landau1976-1983
Ford Maverick1973-1979
Ford Model T1909-1928
Ford Pampa1982-1997
Ford Ranger1998-present
Ford Super Duty1998-2019
Ford Transit2009-2013
Ford Verona1989-1996
Ford Versailles1991-1996

Historical Timeline

  • 1909: The Ford Model T and Ford Model TT truck are imported to Brazil from the United States in kits and then reassembled.
  • 1957: Ford Brazil inaugurates a full blown manufacturing strategy by launching the first Ford F-600 medium truck, very similar to the US-made F-600, but with 40% of its parts being Brazilian made. The remaining items are still imported from the United States.
  • 1967: Ford takes control of Willys-Overland as a majority shareholder and integrates the factory in São Bernardo with two mid-range sedans, the Aero-Willys and the Willys Itamaraty. Ford Brazil overseas production of the Willys F-75, the pick-up truck F-75 and the iconic Willys Jeep.
  • 1973: Production for the Ford Maverick begins in São Bernardo.
  • 1987: Ford and Volkswagen merge into a new holding named AutoLatina.  Volkswagen holds 51% of the shares, and Ford the remaining 49%. Each brand maintains its own corporate image.
  • 1994: The Ford/Volkswagen partnership ends due to poor sales, marking the end of AutoLatina.
  • 1996: The first Ford Fiesta enters production.


Subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford Brazil news and ongoing Ford news coverage.


Subscribe to Ford Authority

For around-the-clock Ford news coverage

We'll send you one email per day with the latest Ford updates. It's totally free.