The Ford Motor Company Windsor Engine plant is an engine manufacturing facility located in Windsor, Ontrario Canada.
The plant first began production in 1923, ranking as the oldest facility owned by Ford Motor Company of Canada. Operating alongside the Oakville assembly plant and the Essex engine plant, the Ford Motor Company Windsor Engine plant currently overseas the assembly of the Ford 6.8L Triton engine destined for Ford E-Series cutaway utility vehicle.
Although it operates under the Ford nameplate, the original intent of Ford Motor Company of Canada, originally known as the Walkerville Wagon Works company, was to convince a group of investors to invest in Henry Ford’s new automobile which was being produced across the river in Detroit.
Today, it is a subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company and its own separate organization comprised of its own distinct group of shareholders.This page shows information about the Ford Motor Company Windsor Engine plant.
|2,100,000 square feet (195,096.m2)
|1000 Henry Ford Centre Dr, Windsor, ON N9A 7E8
|Ford 6.8L Triton
|1997 to present
- 1904: The Ford Model C is the first automobile to be produced in Canada. At the time, the Ford Motor Company of Canada was able to produce 117 automobiles during its first year of production.
- 1953: The Oakville assembly plant joins the company.
- 1967: Another assembly plant opens in Talbotville, Ontario
- 1984: The Essex engine plant joins the company.
- 1989: Ford Motor Company of Canada is listed among the “dirty dozen” polluters of Ontario.
- 2004: Ford of Canada celebrates its Centennial. Ford Motor Company acquires the last of the shares held by minority shareholders.
- 2020: A portion of the Windsor Engine plant is retooled to begin production of plastic protective face shields for health-care workers battling the COVID-19 pandemic.