The Ford Motor Company Chennai assembly plant, also known as the Chennai Vehicle & Engine assembly plant, is located in Maraimalai Nagar, Tamil Nadu, India.As a part of the Ford India Private Limited collaboration, it is currently the sixth largest car manufacturer in India after Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai, Honda, Tata and Mahindra. The plant has a capacity to produce 150,000 cars on a two-shift basis and 200,000 with three shifts.
While Ford India Private Limited (FIPL) was first established in 1926 as a subsidiary of Ford Canada, it was not until 1995 whenFord partnered up with Mahindra & Mahindra Motor Company to create FIPL.
The Chennai Vehicle & Engine assembly plant began production in 1999. It currently manufactures vehicles destined to the Indian market like the Ford EcoSport and Ford Endeavor. The plant is also a manufacturing location for the Ford 1.6L Sigma engine.
This page shows information about the Ford Motor Company Chennai assembly plant.
|Facility size||830,716 square feet (77,176 m2)|
|Land occupied||350 acres|
|Location||Sangamithirai St, Maraimalai Nagar, Tamil Nadu 603209, India|
|Ford EcoSport||2013 - present|
|Ford Endeavor||2016 - present|
|Ford Escort||1996 - 2003|
|Ford Fiesta Classic||2005 - 2015|
|Ford Fiesta||2011 - 2015|
|Ford Figo & Figo Aspire||2010 - present|
|Ford Freestyle||2018 - present|
|Ford Fusion||2004 - 2010|
|Ford Ikon||1999 - 2010|
|Ford Mondeo||2001 - 2006|
- 1926: FIPL begins vehicle production as a subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company of Canada.
- 1954: FIPL in loss and the company is shut down.
- 1995: Ford re-enters the Indian market as Mahindra Ford India Limited, a 50-50 joint venture with Mahindra & Mahindra Limited. Ford increases its interest to 72% and renames the company Ford India Private Limited. The total investments made by Ford Motor Company stands at $2 billion.
- 2004: Ford launches the European Ford Fusion in India, which brings a totally new segment to India. The crossover is called an Urban Activity Vehicle & marketed in India as The-No-Nonsense-Car.
- 2013: Production for the Indian market Ford EcoSport begins.