The Ford Motor Company Craiova assembly plant, also known as the Ford Romania plant, is a manufacturing facility owned and operated by Ford Europe. It is located in Craiova, Romania. While the plant was originally designed to assemble engines, it grew to become a full-on automobile manufacturing facility. It currently overseas the production of the Ford 1.0L EcoBoost Fox and Ford 1.5L EcoBoost Dragon engines and vehicles like the Ford EcoSport and the Ford Puma.
The Croaiova assembly plant was a manufacturing hub during World War II where it focused its activities on repairing army vehicle fleet. It was formerly owned by Oltcit, a joint venture between the Romanian government and Citroën, which Ford took over in 2008.Beforehand, Ford’s Romanian operations took place in Floreascha, a district of the Romanian capital Bucharest.
As we write this, the facility has a production capacity of 300,000 units per year. It is currently Romania’s third company by value of exports.
This page shows information about the Ford Motor Company Craiova assembly plant.
|Year opened||1976 (under Oltcit) - 2012 under Ford|
|Land occupied||109 acres|
|Location||Strada Henry Ford 29, Craiova, Romania|
|Ford B-Max||2012 - 2017|
|Ford EcoSport||2017 - present|
|Ford Puma||2019 - present|
|Ford Transit Connect||2009 - 2012|
- 1935: The Ford Company comes to Romania and opens its first automotive production line in Easter Europe at the Ford Romania S.A.R facility in the Floreasca district of Bucharest. This is where both the 1935 Ford and 1937 Fords, in Standard and De Luxe trims, are assembled, as well as the Mercury Eight and Fordson trucks.
- 1960: Following World War II, the company was nationalized and changed its activities to Automatica; a manufacturer of electrical equipment and automation.
- 2008: Ford acquires the Oltcit car factory in Craiova, once a joint venture between the Romanian government and Citroën.
- 2009: Ford Transit Connect production begins at the Caiova assembly plant, with engine production following not long after.
- 2017: Ford invests €200 million into the facility for the production of the Ford EcoSport.