The 2021 Ford Courier is an upcoming small pickup truck that will mark the return of the Courier name after the model was discontinued in 2002 in Europe and 2013 in South America.
Here’s what we expect from the 2021 Ford Courier:
- Compact pickup truck roughly 185 inches in length
- Contain a “fresh design” that represents a “white space silhouette”, terms that Ford executives had previously used to describe the direction of future vehicles
- Two- and four-door versions with one or two bed lengths
- One row or two rows of seating, depending on cab configuration
- Based on the new Ford front-drive platform shared with the new Ford Focus
- Unibody design, wherein the frame and body are a single piece
- Slotting below the midsize Ford Ranger as a small/compact pickup truck
- Built at the Ford Cuautitlan plant in Mexico
The 2021 Ford Courier will be offered as a compact pickup truck, with a joined cab and bed with the following configurations:
- Single (two doors)
- SuperCrew (four doors)
- Regular bed
- Long bed
The new-generation units of the Ford Courier will ride on the new, highly-scalable Ford FWD platform shared with the 2019 Ford Focus family.
The 2021 Ford Courier is expected to be offered with the following engines:
- Turbo-charged four-cylinder gasoline engine
- Turbo four-cylinder diesel engine
- Hybrid-electric four-cylinder gasoline engine could also be part of the lineup
Both four-bangers will be mated to the new Ford 8-speed automatic transmission driving the front wheels. Though all-wheel-drive could be offered from an engineering standpoint, we do not believe that this will be the case.
The 2021 Ford Courier is expected to be in a segment of one in the U.S. and Canada. In Mexico, Central and South American markets, the model will be challenged by the Chevrolet Montana/Tornado.
20201 Courier standard features are currently unknown. We will update this section once Ford provides the information.
20201 Courier available features are currently unknown. We will update this section once Ford provides the information.
20201 Courier available packages are currently unknown. We will update this section once Ford provides the information.
Trim Levels & Price
The 2021 Ford Courier is expected to available in the following trim levels:
- Courier (base)
We expect the 2021 Courier price to start in the high $19,000 range.
As of this writing, Ford has yet to announce plans to bring the Courier (or any other form of small pickup truck) to market.
The following factors lead us to believe that a new Ford Courier is coming:
- A Ford trademark filing in 2016 with the USPTO for the term Courier
- Ford’s repeated statements that it plans to “significantly expand” its “North America lineup with all-new vehicles and entering new segments with fresh designs and white-space silhouettes that will position us for even more growth”
- A July 2017 rumor that a small Ford pickup truck is coming by 2022
- A December 2018 report stating that Ford has commenced work on a small, unibody pickup truck
- Spy shots captured in December 2018 that show a test mule for a small, car-based pickup truck
The 2021 Ford Courier is expected to be assembled at the Ford Cuautitlan plant in Mexico, which currently assembles the Fiesta 4-door, 5-door, and Fiesta ST.
Release Date & Availability
The new Ford Courier is expected to go on sale in the 2020 calendar year as a 2021 model year vehicle.
We expect that the next-generation Ford Courier will live on through at least 2026 model year, and that an all-new, future Ford Courier will launch thereafter
See our running Ford Courier sales tracker.
Discuss the 2021 Ford Courier in our Ford forum.
Follow our coverage of Ford Courier news.
2021 Ford Courier specs coming soon.